Thursday, 2 February 2012

[www.keralites.net] Old Photos-Various Vintage Photos-Kolkata-OPart 56

 

Writer's Buildings - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1878
Located on the north side of Dalhousie Square, it was built in the 1780s by Thomas Lyon to be used as the headquarters of the East India Company.Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Great Eastern Hotel and Old Court House Street - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1865
Photographer:Bourne and Shepherd
Old Court House Street is located on the eastern side of Dalhousie Square and this northern view of Old Court House Street shows St Andrew's Church in the distance, with the Great Eastern Hotel on the right.Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Scene in Dalhousie Park, Rangoon, Burma 1895
Photographer:Watts and Skeen
Dalhousie Park (now Bogyoke Aung San Park) was created by the British to plans drawn up in 1856 by William Scott of the Calcutta Botanic Gardens. It was named after Lord Dalhousie who was Governor General of India from 1848 to 1856.The park was laid out around the Kandawgyi Lake, known then as the Royal Lake, one of two lakes in northern Rangoon east of the Shwe Dagon Pagoda. This is a view of the edge of the lake showing the drive which encircled it. The park was a popular subject for photographers in Rangoon for the picturesque vistas of water and landscape it gave.
 
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
An Ornamental Pool and Palm within the Eden Gardens, Calcutta (Kolkata) - 1890's
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
The Eden Gardens, situated at the northern end of the Maidan, Calcutta, was named after Emily and Fanny Eden, the sisters of Lord Auckland, Governor-General from 1836-1842. The sisters tended the garden when it formed part of the Viceroy's estate and later it became a famous public garden, which now contains Calcutta Cricket Club.
 
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Old Court House Street from Top - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1878
Photographer:A. De Hone
Old Court House Street is located on the eastern side of Dalhousie Square. In this view, St. Andrew's Church is visible on the north corner of Old Court House Street and Lal Bazar Street.
 
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Old Court House Street Looking North - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1865
Photographer:Bourne and Shepherd
Old Court House Street is located on the eastern side of Dalhousie Square. In this view, St. Andrew's Church is visible on the north corner of Old Court House Street and Lal Bazar Street.
 
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Writers Buildings - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1885
Located on the north side of Dalhousie Square, Writers Buildings was built in 1777 by Thomas Lyon to be used as the headquarters of the East India Company.Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
St. Andrew's Church at Dalhousie Square - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1878
General view of the facade of St Andrew's, built in 1818, was also known as the Scotch Church, on the corner of Dalhousie Square.Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Telegraph Office, Calcutta (Kolkata) - 1878
Photographer:James Humpidge and Company
Construction of the Telegraph Office started in 1873 on the corner of Old Court House Street and Hare Street, at the south-west corner of Dalhousie Square (now BBD Bagh).
 
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Lall Dighi and General Post Office (GPO) - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1875
Photographer:W. G. Stretton
A view of the Lal Dighi (tank or reservoir) and the Post Office in Dalhousie Square, originally Tank Square, and now called Benoy Badal Dinesh Bagh (BBD Bagh) in Calcutta. This tank was the largest of three in the Chowringhee area of Calcutta and had been converted from a pond into a fresh water supply in 1709. The Post Office was built in 1868.
 
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Old Court House Street - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1865
Photographer:Oscar Mallitte
Old Court House Street ran from Esplanade Row to Lal Bazaar on the eastern side of Dalhousie Square in Calcutta. This view shows one of the four ceremonial gateways to Government House on the left, which were based on designs for Adam's archways at Syon House in Middlesex, and St Andrews Church at the end of the street in Lal Bazaar. On the right of the view are commercial buildings. St. Andrew's Church is visible on the north corner of Old Court House Street and Lal Bazar Street in the distance.Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Writers' Building - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1885
Located on the north side of Dalhousie Square, Calcutta, the Writers' Building was built in 1777 by Thomas Lyon to be used as the headquarters of the East India Company.Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
General Post Office (GPO) - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1875
Photographer:W. G. Stretton
Calcutta General Post Office was built in the 1860s in Dalhousie Square, now renamed Benoy Badal Dinesh Bagh, after three Indian freedom-fighters. The building was designed by Walter B. Grenville and erected on the old Fort William site.
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Hare Street, Calcutta (Kolkata), looking towards the River - 1878
This photograph is a view from the top of the Telegraph Office, with the Dalhousie Institute situated below. Dalhousie Square, with a corner of the Dalhousie Tank, and the General Post Office are on the right.Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Stereoscopic view from the balcony of the Telegraph Office looking across Dalhousie Square and Tank towards the Post Office (GPO), with a portion of the Dalhousie Institute in the foreground - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1903
Photographer:James Ricalton
 
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Dalhousie Barracks within the grounds of Fort William in Calcutta (Kolkata) 1885
This photograph shows a view of the Dalhousie Barracks within the grounds of Fort William in Calcutta. The building is partly obscured by the Staff Barracks in the foreground.Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Currency Office in Dalhousie Square - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1878
The Currency Office, on the east side of Dalhousie Square, contained the Office of Issue and Exchange of Government Paper Currency. Dalhousie Square, named after Lord Dalhousie who was appointed Governor-General in 1847, was the main administrative area of Calcutta. The square also housed the headquarters of the East India Company known as the Writer's Building, the Currency Office, and the General Post Office. Dalhousie Square has been renamed BBD Bagh after three Indian nationalists Benoy, Badal, and Dinesh. St. Andrew's Church is visible in the background.Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
 
 

The Bentinck Statue and Government House - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1860's
Photographer:Samuel Bourne
A view looking eastwards along Esplanade Row, with Richard Westmacott's statue of Sir William Cavendish-Bentinck, Governor-General of India from 1833-1835, in the foreground and the western entrance to Government House beyond. Government House, designed by Captain Charles Wyatt and built between 1799-1802, was the residence for the British Governors-General till 1911.
 
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Tolly's Nullah (Adi Ganga) near Kalighat - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1860's
Photograph of Tolly's Nullah or Adi Ganga near Kalighat from 'Views of Calcutta and Barrackpore' taken by Samuel Bourne in the 1860s. The south-eastern Calcutta suburbs of Alipore and Kalighat were connected by bridges constructed over Tolly's Nullah.
 
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
Government House and statue of Viscount Hardinge of Lahore, Governor-General of India (1844-1848) - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1865
 
Photographer:Oscar Mallitte
Source: British Library
Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Rgds
Smitha

www.keralites.net

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...
To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: www.keralites.net
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a comment