Friday 22 April 2016

[www.keralites.net] Exceptionally Talented Blind Guy Became A Professional Surfer [11 Attachments]

 

Even before Derek Rabelo was born, his father dreamed that he would become a surfer. He even named him after Derek Ho, the first Hawaiian world surfing champion. However, Derek was born blind due to glaucoma and his dad's dream had to be put on hold. The young Brazilian always wanted to surf, too. When at the age of 17 (now 23) he learned about his dad's dream, he decided it was time to make it a reality. Bored Panda reached out to him to talk about his extraordinary journey.

 

Even before Derek was born, his father dreamed that he would become a surfer Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

However, Derek was born blind due to glaucoma, so his dad's dream was put on hold

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Derek always wanted to surf, too, so when at the age of 17 he learned about his dad's dream, he decided it was time to do it

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

"My dad encouraged and helped me. We went to the ocean together in the mornings"

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net


"However, he sent me to a surf course to learn and practise more. I have also practised a lot with my friends"

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

"I listen to the ocean and feel it. Because the waves make noise when they are coming"

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

"And every single part of a wave makes different noises. So, I can decide which side of the wave I should surf towards"

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net


"I want to do more and show what a blind man can do to more people"

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

"I am travelling around the World for best waves. Telling my stories in schools and conferences"

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

"I skateboard and I really want to do snowboarding. This is one of my future dreams"

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net


"If you have a dream, you have to believe in yourself. Otherwise, you can not do it. I believe all of us has strong senses given by God"

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

"I was like a baby who learned how to walk. I thought that 'I want to keep on doing it forever"


www.keralites.net

__._,_.___
View attachments on the web

Posted by: Fereshteh Jamshidi <fayjay81@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Check out the automatic photo album with 11 photo(s) from this topic.
blindguy_professional_surfer_08.jpg blindguy_professional_surfer_05.jpg blindguy_professional_surfer_10.jpg blindguy_professional_surfer_04.jpg blindguy_professional_surfer_03.jpg

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!

KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...

To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: http://www.keralites.net

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment