Thursday 25 June 2015

[www.keralites.net] A Gift for Two

 

A Gift for Two

It was a beautiful day for sightseeing around downtown Portland. We were a bunch of councilors on our day off, just out for some fun. The weather was perfect for a picnic, so when lunch time came, we set our sights on a small park in town. Since we all had different cravings, we decided to split up, get what each of us wanted, and meet back on the grass in a few minutes.

When my friend Robby headed for a hot dog stand, I decided to keep her company. We watched the vendor put together a perfect hot dog, just the way Robby wanted it. But when she took out her money to pay him, the man surprised us.

It looks a little on the cool side, he said, so never mind paying me. This will be my freebie of the day.

We said our thanks, joined our friends in the park, and dug into our food. But as we talked and ate, I was distracted by a man sitting alone nearby, looking at us. I could tell that he hadn't showered for days. Another homeless person, I thought, like all others you see in cities. I didn't pay much more attention than that.

We finished eating and decided to head off for more sightseeing. But when Robby and I went to the garbage can to throw away my lunch bag, I heard a strong voice ask, 'there isn't any food in that bag, is there?'

It was the man who had been watching us. I didn't know what to say. 'No, I ate it already'. 'Oh', was his only answer, with no shame in his voice at all. He was obviously hungry, couldn't bear to see anything thrown away, and was used to asking this question.

I felt bad for the man, but didn't know what I could do. That's when Robby said, I'll be right back. Please wait for me a minute, and ran off. I watched curiously as she went across to the hot dog stand. Then I realized what she was doing. She bought a hot dog, crossed back to the trash can, and gave the hungry man the food.

When she came back to us, said simply, I was just passing on the kindness that someone gave me.

That day I learned how generosity can go farther than the person you give to. By giving, you teach others how to give also.

*****

To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.

Mahatma Gandhi.


"Keep_Mailing" group.


www.keralites.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: prasannam n <iampresanam@yahoo.co.in>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...

To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: http://www.keralites.net

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment