Monday 3 June 2013

[www.keralites.net] Khatte-mitten khabhrain from around the world for 3/6/13

 

 
**
 
From the world of science…
 
How common are strokes?
 
Every 40 seconds, someone in the US suffers a stroke every 4 minutes, someone dies of a stroke. Though stroke deaths are down, more than 137,000 Americans die from stroke every year. Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the US.
 
(Me: Although data isn't available for the rest of the world, including India, things wouldn't be any different anywhere else)
 
**
 
Lettuce is a rich source of vitamin K – a nutrient that is essential for keeping bones strong and break-resistant.
 
**
 
Spring onions are rich in sulfur – a nutrient that helps your pancreas burn carbs for fuel before they are stored as fat.
 
**
 
Oral sex led to cancer, says Michael Douglas.
 
London: Hollywood actor Michael Douglas told The Guardian that the human papilloma virus (HPV) transmitted through oral sex led to his throat cancer.
 
(Me: A very bold admission….)
 
**
 
Q: What will you get when you cross a parrot with a shark?
A: A bird that will talk your ear off!
 
**

In the blunder land of India's media.
 
 
India's Cricketing sorry spectacle…
 
One tainted man is replaced by an even worse one! Going by the example of Lalit Modi having already become the oracle or darling for the news media, rest assured the ousted one will be rehabilitated by the same mediawallas who had been gunning for him until now. And sooner than you think...
 
**
 
Tweet of the day: @madversity: "Srinivasan is staying at the crease, questioning the umpire, demanding a replay, seeking a third umpire – while waiting for the rains!"
 
**
 
Teacher: Sam, what is the outside of a tree called?
Sam: I don't know.
Teacher: Bark, Sam, bark.
Sam: Bow, wow, wow!
 
**
 
Weird world
 
Fridge used at morgue up for sale on eBay..
 
New York: In what could be a creepy bargain, a Manhattan Psychiatric Centre is selling a morgue refrigerator on eBay – calling it 'used' but 'in good condition'. The bizarre ad lists that the buying the huge silver appliance, equipped with four doors for body storage, doesn't require a background check. And the weirdest part? Starting at $10, it has received 41 bids and the price has gone up to $805.
 
**
 
A quote in ToI…
 
"The infinitely little have a pride infinitely great" – Voltaire
 
(Me: Funny, the paper itself doesn't understand THAT!)
 
**
 
An old's-gold kind humour…
 
A man is sitting in bar, looking at his drink. He stays like that for half-an-hour, when a big bully of a truck driver comes up, takes the drink and downs it. The man starts crying.
 
The truck driver says: "Come on, I was just joking. Here' I'll buy you another drink. I just can't see a man crying".
 
Says the man: "It's not that. Today is the worst of my life. First, I overslept and was late for an important meeting. My boss fired me. When I left the building, I found my car was stolen. The police said they couldn't help. I took a cab home, and after the driver left, I found I had left my wallet in the cab. I went in and my wife and I fought, and she said she was walking out. So I came to this bar. And when I was thinking about putting an end to my life, you show up and drink my poison…"

www.keralites.net

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...
To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: www.keralites.net
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment