Friday 7 October 2011

[www.keralites.net] Ravi Pillai - Who employs over 60,000 in gulf - Turnover 2.5 Billion $

 

Ravi Pillai, is the founder-managing director of the Bahrain-based construction services major 
Naseer S Al Hajri Corporation (NSH), and Petrochem, Saudi Arabia.
With 60,000 people working for him, he is the largest employer of Indians in the Middle East. 
His company has a turnover of $2.5 billion.
He is also the recipient of the Padma Shri and the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman.Fun & Info @ Keralites.net
I am from a farming community from near Kollam in Kerala. When I was young
 I found that though we farmed, at the end of the year there was no money at home.
Seeing that, I decided that I would be an entrepreneur and provide jobs to others.
 And I did become one while I was doing my degree studies in college.
I started a chit fund with Rs 100,000, borrowed at local rate of interest.
 I could make Rs 15-20,000 as profit every month. But I didn't use the money 
to splurge or enjoy; I re-invested it in my company.
After my graduation, I joined MBA, attending evening classes. 
I didn't want to go for regular classes as I wanted to concentrate on my business.
I came to know then that construction business was booming in Kerala. 
So I decided to start a construction company that did sub-contract work.
I hired engineers and other workers to do the work, and I got work at FACT 
and Cochin Refineries but the largest business came from Velloor 
Hindustan Newsprint factory. I made 15-20 per cent profit in the work.
But soon the locals in the area went on a strike and stopped work as they 
thought we were outsiders who had come to snatch their work.
I stopped everything and decided to go to the Gulf.
Almost all my employees have been with me for the last 10-20 years. 
My original recruits from Nagercoil had not studied beyond the tenth standard, 
but their children are engineers and doctors today. I feel so happy that I 
could make a change in their lives.
Because of me, in the Gulf alone, 75,000 people have food. 
I give free food three times a day to my employees.

Ravi

www.keralites.net

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...
To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: www.keralites.net
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment