Thursday, 1 June 2017

[] 10 Poisonous Flowers Every Gardener Should Know About!


10 Common and Poisonous Flowers!

Flowers spread color and joy and compliment the garden, but some plants that are loved by gardeners are actually toxic. No one is saying that you should remove them or avoid them altogether, but if you have small grandchildren or pets, you should know what flowers are poisonous so that you can keep an eye out and become aware of what the consequences might be if they ingest one of the following plants. 1. Hydrangea Fun & Info @


Be extra vigilant when growing hydrangeas, and don't keep them indoors if you have cats and dogs, in case they nibble on them. Hydrangeas contain small amounts of cyanide and can be lethal to pets if digested. Ingestion of a small amount of leaves and flowers can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and lethargy in pets.

2. Celmatis 


Fun & Info @


When touched or consumed, the toxin called anemonin can cause dermatitis in some people and a mild burning sensation and ulcers in the mouth if eaten. Fortunately, the symptoms subside soon, and pets tend to avoid eating much of it because of its bitter taste.

3. Oleander


Fun & Info @


Oleanders are charming, fragrant, and loved by home owners – they can be white, pink, yellow or red. However, if you often have small children in your house, it's best to be careful as eating only a meager amount of this flower can be very dangerous. All parts of this plant are extremely poisonous if ingested, and the symptoms include a fever, dehydration, slow heartbeat, tremors, and even death.

4. Azalea


Fun & Info @


These colorful flowers are beautiful to look at, but if the flowers, stems, or leaves are eaten by your pet they can cause abdominal pain and difficulty breathing.

5. Daffodil


Fun & Info @


The bulbs are the toxic part of this popular and familiar flower, so, if you have a dog that s to dig in flower beds, you should take care when you plant it. Too much ingestion can cause vomiting, tremors, diarrhea, and heart rhythm disorders.

6. Lantana


Fun & Info @


This flower is known for its intense fragrance, and can be found in shades of white, pink, red, orange, yellow, and violet. All parts of this beautiful flower are poisonous and can cause depression, fatigue, vomiting, and liver failure if ingested.

7. Foxglove


Fun & Info @


Foxgloves are currently used in heart medicine, but if you ingest a particular amount of this plant it can cause headaches, stomach pain, and fainting.

8. Lily of the Valley


Fun & Info @


This plant contains cardiac glycosides, which, when consumed, affects the heart and causes vomiting, illusions, slow heart rates, blurriness, and even death. Fortunately, the poison is slowly absorbed in the body, so medical intervention can occur before too much damage is done.

9. Wisteria


Fun & Info @


This beautiful plant is mildly poisonous for cats and dogs. The seeds are the most poisonous, and consuming only a few seeds can cause mild abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and damage to the central nervous system.

10. Morning Glory


Fun & Info @

Not all species of this plant are poisonous, but there are a few that have toxic seeds. These seeds contain the toxic lysergic alkaloids, which causes symptoms such as diarrhea, in-coordination, and liver failure, if digested in large amounts.


Posted by: Kakdi Raita <>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...

To subscribe send a mail to
Send your posts to
Send your suggestions to

To unsubscribe send a mail to




No comments:

Post a Comment