Thursday 5 September 2013

[www.keralites.net] Macaroons v. Macarons,

 

Macaroons v. Macarons, Do You Know Which Is Which?
Posted: 05 Sep 2013 06:42 AM PDT
I have something really embarrassing to admit. Up until just a few months ago, my entire life I'd been spelling one of my favorite dessert cookies wrong!
I know…crazy, huh?
Especially since right now this cookie is one of the biggest trends in the wedding industry. Luckily I don't think I've spelled it wrong on the blog. Maybe I have, who knows. But it was the blog that helped me discover the spelling error in the first place.
Granted…some may look at the error in spelling as merely a preference, like gray and grey or favorite and favourite. But it's actually more than that because the difference between macaroons and macarons is actually a lot.
Yes, macaron is the French spelling of macaroon, but if you order a macaroon in any bakery, you will not get a French macaron. And to me…that difference warranted a blog post.
In the wedding industry, macarons are huge. Yes that's right, macarons, with one "o" not two. The image below is of some lovely French macarons
Sweet Marie Photography via Fab You Bliss
…and the image below here are of some gorgeous and yummy looking macaroons
Image via Just a Taste
Both are sweet and delicious.
Both start off with a base of egg whites and sugar, then the base is typically whipped into a stiff meringue.
Both are pronounced the same.
But the spelling is different. And each will result in an entirely different dessert.
Don't believe me?
That's okay, feel free to do a little research yourself. I've already done it though as I wanted to make 100% sure before posting this. You can also read similar posts here and here by others bringing this to light as well.
Anyhow, just thought I'd give you all a heads-up in case there's anyone else spelling the French version incorrect as well.
Judging by a quick Google and Pinterest search, I'd say there's a lot!
Thanks for stopping by!

 

 

 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...

To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: http://www.keralites.net
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment