Sunday 3 July 2016

[www.keralites.net] Mini Art On Pencils

 

I Carved A Family Of Elephants Into A Pencil

by Cindy Chinn

My first pencil carving at this scale was of a train – and in December of 2015 it went viral across Facebook and the Internet! I was even featured on a TV show in Barcelona.

My most elaborate design has been the Elephant Walk, commissioned by the Epiphany Elephant Museum. The design started out simple, an Elephant with a foil stamped logo. Then I got carried away… after looking at reference I decided that I needed to carve a family of elephants walking across the Serengeti, because carving just one elephant wasn't challenging enough! So I stopped keeping track of the hours… but it took a few days.

I carved the train using a 5x diopter magnifying lamp. Then I bought a 10x diopter floor lamp. Still feeling like I could get more detail, I bought a 90x Trinocular on an arm, which is basically a microscope that can be setup for a long field of working distance. I would never have been able to get the detail that I was able to get in the elephant's skin or the baby's trunk, which was REALLY crazy hard to carve without breaking… I found myself holding my breath a lot.

Using the wood of a pencil I carved the tree tops, and the trunks are made from the graphite lead

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

I scored the wood of the pencil to create the look of grass

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

I carved the elephants from different pencils

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

I start with a carpenter pencil, adding rough grid lines for reference

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

I rough the basic shape out using my magnifying lamp

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Sometimes I also make some of my own tools because I can't always find points that are small enough

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

I complete the elephant with skin texture

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

My work station complete with a magnifying lamp and a trinocular

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

I have also carved other tiny things, like this graphite mitt

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Inside art

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

The beast

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

A day at the beach

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net


www.keralites.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: Cool Kis <cooolkis@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...

To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: http://www.keralites.net

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment