Tuesday 23 June 2015

[www.keralites.net] Fred Tomaselli, 1956 ~ A beautiful virus

 

 
-- 
Fred Tomaselli is an American painter. He is best known for his highly detailed paintings on wood panels, combining an array of unorthodox materials suspended in a thick layer of clear, epoxy resin. Tomaselli's paintings include medicinal herbs, prescription pills and hallucinogenic plants alongside images cut from books and magazines: flowers, birds, butterflies, arms, legs and noses, which are combined into dazzling patterns that spread over the surface of the painting like a beautiful virus or growth. He uses an explosion of color and combines it with a basis in art history. His style usually involves collage, painting, and/or glazing. He seals the collages in resin after gluing them down and going over them with different varnishes.
"I want people to get lost in the work. I want to seduce people into it and I want people to escape inside the world of the work. In that way the work is pre-Modernist. I throw all of my obsessions and loves into the work, and I try not to be too embarrassed about any of it. I love nature, I love gardening, I love watching birds, and all of that gets into the work. I just try to be true to who I am and make the work I want to see. I don't have a radical agenda".
Tomaselli sees his paintings and their compendium of data as windows into a surreal, hallucinatory universe. "It is my ultimate aim", he says, "to seduce and transport the viewer in to space of these pictures while simultaneously revealing the mechanics of that seduction." Tomaselli has also incorporated allegorical figures into his work - in Untitled (Expulsion) (2000), for example, he borrows the Adam and Eve figures from Masaccio's Expulsion from the Garden of Eden 1426-27, and in Field Guides 2003, he creates his own version of the grim reaper. His figures are described anatomically so that their organs and veins are exposed in the manner of a scientific drawing. He writes that his "inquiry into utopia/dystopia - framed by artifice but motivated by the desire for the real – has turned out to be the primary subject of my work".

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
www.keralites.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: =?UTF-8?B?4pmj4pmA4pa44pa34pmC0LzOu9GP4oK40qLhu4vVpNKi4bqhIOKZgOKWuOKWt+KZguKZoyA=?= <gfuxiquinho@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...

To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: http://www.keralites.net

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment