Tuesday 18 November 2014

[www.keralites.net] Melissa Peck

 


Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

The more I paint the less words I seem to have. As long as I can remember I have thought of myself as an artist. I don't think of it as defining what I do as much as who I am. I attended Utah State in the Fall of 1993 and there met another artist in art 101 who became a dear friend and someone who sparked a desire in me to communicate in this language that we shared. More than anything I gained from the illustration, drawing, and art history classes that I took over the next couple of years I found the soul of my artist and a desire to give it voice. It wasn't until I dropped out of school, and had five different jobs in one year that I finally sat down in the fall of 1997 at my tiny drawing table in the solitude of my own room that I discovered my voice as an artist. I watercolored for over 12 years before I ever painted with oil. As you look at my work now you can see within my paintings the bones of my experience with watercolor. I love to draw and often leave the remnants of my lines in my work.

I have developed a passion for many different things over the years that repeat themselves in my paintings. On an art history tour in Europe I fell in love with Architecture. I have a vintage button collection, yards of ribbon, and more fabric scraps than I know what to do with. Not to mention my true love.... paper.

Anyone who has navigated their way across my studio floor can attest to this. When I was a nanny in Germany I spent over a $100 (which was a lot for a poor 19 year old) on paper. Nothing is more precious or beautiful to me than my daughters' writing and drawings. Each contains a freshness and irregularity that is so unique. You will often see my daughters' spelling list, math problems, or drawings incorporated into my art.

I am fascinated by life and have a sensitivity that has brought me through both the depths of pain and the sweetest joy. I live in a beautiful world and if the viewer has the eyes to see my work as it is intended it can function as a window into my soul. Many of my paintings are a personal reflection of me and my process as I move forward from the understanding of a girl into the wisdom of a woman. I feel that I am just now beginning to create the work that I have been working toward all these years. I am grateful for every bad painting I have painted to get here. My favorite quote is by Julia Cameron when she said "Remember by being willing to be a bad artist, you have a chance over time to be an artist, and perhaps, over time, a very good one.

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

 

www.keralites.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: Fereshteh Jamshidi <fayjay81@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...

To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: http://www.keralites.net

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment